MAC Implicit Bias Training Live Webinars
Mark Your Calendars! Implicit Bias Training Info for DCs, Chiropractic Students, and MTs
Second Live Webinar Scheduled for Monday, July 20, 2022, from 7:30-8:30p. Click here to register. A Zoom link will be emailed to all registrants as we get closer to the event.
As you know, as of June 1, 2022, all Michigan health care licensees are required to obtain implicit bias training as a condition of license renewal or of obtaining an initial license to practice in Michigan. The MAC has scheduled three upcoming live online training sessions – BEGINNING MONDAY, JUNE 27 – that will satisfy this requirement.
- July 20, 2022: 7:30-8:30p
- August 10, 2022: 7:30-8:30p
Live, in-person opportunities to fulfill this requirement will be held at the upcoming UP Convention in Marquette and Fall Convention in Detroit this September, as well as the Express Convention this November in Lansing.
Other online opportunities are being planned for later this fall, as well.
Implicit Bias Requirements for DCs
- If your license expires in 2022, you are required to obtain one hour in implicit bias training prior to the renewal of your license to practice chiropractic, or November 30, 2022, whichever comes first. In subsequent renewals, you will be required to obtain two hours per licensure period.
- If your license expires in 2023 or 2024, you are required to obtain two hours in implicit bias training prior to the renewal of your license to practice chiropractic.
- If you are going through the relicensure process, two hours in implicit bias training is required.
- New Applicants for chiropractic licensure are required to have completed two (2) hours of implicit bias training within the five (5) years immediately preceding issuance of the license or registration.
- All students can take the MAC’s implicit bias program free of charge. Just contact the MAC at firstname.lastname@example.org or (517) 367-2225 for the MAC Comp Code, which will zero out your total at checkout.
- Reminder: Prior to Michigan licensure, chiropractic students will have to satisfy the State of Michigan’s Human Trafficking requirement. Students can take the MAC’s short, compliant webinar – also free of charge – here.
- Any licensed massage therapist working in your office will also need implicit bias prior to license renewal. If your MT's license expires in 2022, they will need one (1) hour. If it expires in 2023, they will need two (2) hours, and if they expire in 2024, they will need three (3) hours. MTs can register for the MAC's live online implicit bias program here. When registering, choose the DCs membership level. Cost: $30/per MT.
- The implicit bias requirement is in addition to the 30 hours (with all other State of Michigan requirements) needed for license renewal.
- This is not a “one-time” training requirement. The requirement is in effect now (see requirements above for licensees whose licenses are expiring in 2022, 2023, and 2024) and for all subsequent licensing periods.
More on the Implicit Bias Requirement
- The MAC was one of several health care stakeholder organizations and individuals that participated in the work groups on the implicit bias training issue. Our aim was to keep the burden on providers as low as possible while still meeting the mandate set by Governor Whitmer. We advocated for a training system like the State’s one-time human trafficking requirement, but they ultimately did not go in that direction.
- This requirement affects every licensed or registered health care profession – except veterinarians – equally, as they are all required to obtain one hour of implicit bias training per year of their licensure cycle.
- For more information on the State of Michigan’s implicit bias training requirement, see FAQs for Implicit Bias Training from the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs’ Bureau of Professional Licensing.
- If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to MAC Executive Director Kristine Dowell at email@example.com.